- 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 lb pasture raised chicken livers (clean and trim off yellow or stringy parts)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 anchovy filets, rinsed
- 1 large pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 -1 cup red wine
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Heat 4 Tbsp butter in sauté pan over low heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add livers, capers, anchovies, and pepper flakes, and cook until livers are browned on all sides and then about 5 more minutes so the insides are cooked.
- Remove livers and transfer to food processor. Allow onions and other seasonings to remain in the pan.
- Add wine and reduce by cooking until only a few tablespoonfuls of liquid remain, about 15 minutes.
- Add well-seasoned onions to livers in food processor with remaining 4 Tbsp (or more, to taste) of butter. Pulse until mixture is well blended.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until needed, or remember that it freezes well.
This recipe was provided by Dr. Deborah Gordon, MD. Dr. Deborah is a functional medical physician with a private practice in Ashland, OR. She began with a career in conventional medicine, but became disappointed with a number of the ways the field functions. A big one being the lack of emphasis on nutrition. As a functional medicine physician, her areas of focus include the benefits of high fat/low carb diets, obesity, and diabetes.