Every month, a new episode of the Appropriate Omnivore Podcast is released. All of the guests on the show provide recipes in addition to being interviewed. As January is Hot Tea Month, the guest was Casino Apte. Casino is the founder of the tea company META. He discussed the healing benefits of his organic tea. In addition to people drinking it, Casino also mentioned people sometimes mix the META tea powders into food. Here’s a recipe for cookies made matcha tea.
- 2 cups of organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of Organic Matcha green tea
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup of packed organic brown sugar
- ¾ cup of melted and unsalted grass fed butter
- ½ cup of cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 pasture raised egg
- 1 pasture raised egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Sift Organic Matcha green tea powder, flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat brown sugar, butter, and granulated sugar together in a large bowl. (It’s best to use an electric mixer.)
- Fold in vanilla extract, egg, and egg yolk until the mixture is light, creamy, and free of clumps.
- Mix flour mixture in with creamed butter.
- Continuing mixing until the dough is blended.
- Use a tablespoon to form cookies, leaving 2–3 inches in between each serving.
- Bake in the oven until edges are lightly browned, an average of 8–10 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe was provided by Casino Apte, founder of META. META produces organic loose leaf teas and tea powders. Their teas are free of any preservatives or artificial flavors. In addition to sourcing organic teas, they also practice sustainability by selling all of its tea in customized glass jars and recyclable tins in order to keep the oceans plastic free.